Spanish English Translation, Interpreting and Language Consulting

Drivers Licences for Temporary Overseas Visitors (NSW only)

Here is some of what the RTA says on its website:

“Who is a temporary overseas visitor?

  • If you are not an Australian citizen or not a permanent resident of Australia you are considered to be a temporary overseas visitor.
  • Temporary overseas visitors can include:
  • Tourists.
  • Business people on limited-duration visits.
  • People studying or working temporarily (eg working visa holders) in NSW.

Do I need a NSW licence to drive in NSW?

If you are a temporary overseas visiting driver, and you hold a current overseas driver licence you do not have to get a NSW driver licence. You can drive on your current overseas licence as long as:

  • You remain a visitor.
  • Your overseas licence remains current.
  • You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or elsewhere.
  • You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled or your visiting driver privileges withdrawn.
  • Your licence must be written in English or, if the licence is not in English, you must also carry an English translation or an International Driving Permit with your licence when driving”

The conditions don’t say whether you need a certified translation or not, but that would be the safest option.
Back to Certified Translations In Australia – FAQ